Rob's Famous Potato & Cheese Pancakes
Cook: Rob Cummins
This is a very simple recipe in terms of ingredients, but the key is all in the actual techique of cooking to make it come out right. Be careful of how thick you make these pancakes as they may stay uncooked in the middle. A lot of people find these pankaces too bland to eat on their own (like normal pancakes), but they are a beautiful base for almost any savory topping.
Ingredients (serves 1):
1. Grate cheese & potato.
2. Drop a little butter in a frypan and put on stove to melt.
3. Make up your pancake mix and pour it out into the warm saucepan.
4. Wait until the bottom of the pancake begins to set.
5. Sprinkle grated potato over the top of the pancake. Push the potato down into the still liquid top of the pancake. Try to cover it all over with pancake mix. Grind a little black pepper over the surface.
6. Once the top of the pancake begins to dry out and the bottom just begins to change color, quickly spread the grated cheese over the top of the pancake so that there is a complete layer of cheese.
7. By the time the bottom of the pancake has browned, the cheese on top should be beginning to melt and stick to the top of the pancake.
8. Flip the pancake as carefully as possible. If the cheese starts to fall off as you turn it, leave the pancake to cook a little more so the cheese can melt into place.
9. Once flipped, simply cook the pancake until the cheese had browned and hardened a little into a crispy light brown crust. It is then ready to serve.